Fire safety is a must important even at construction sites like any other business. Buildings under construction can be more at risk to fire because workers use chemicals on the production site, which are flammable. And, also wind can be present frequently around in-progress buildings, which is capable of causing a blaze to spread.
The survey reveals that there are many fires on construction sites and in buildings undergoing renovation every year, several people including many workers are killed or injured, and properties are destroyed. For this, the industry suffers disruption, which may experience a lot of unexpected costs, from which many never recover. Fires on a construction site can start from any number of sources from a lightning strike to burning or ignition, and many of them can be difficult to contain.
Now a question arises, what are the causes of construction fire?
- The foremost problem at construction sites that can start a fire is frayed extension cords, which can quickly spread to the variety of unfinished, flammable materials on site.
- Another problem of the fire tragedy in construction companies is happened due to inferior building codes and materials when any renovation work for older homes going on. For instance, many of the old buildings do not have sufficient firewalls between floors, as well as the gaps around plumbing and electrical infrastructure to protect buildings from the spread of fire.
(Image Source: Multyhousingnews.com)
Comprehending this major issue like a fire hazard, especially, the construction companies should take the proper fire safety precautions to protect their employees as well as the areas where they are working from a fire.
Have a look at a list of ways that construction companies should follow (fire safety awareness) to reduce the fire risk!
Beware of any fire hazard – It’s a must work for every construction company to inspect their worksites as any project completes along to ensure safety standards. Employers must make sure that they are abiding by standards laid out by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Reduce the number of waste materials – It is important to reduce the amount of waste on a construction site just to diminish the extent of combustible materials. Clear away waste materials from the site and do not let to dispose of rubbish by burning it.
Keep necessary fire extinguishers handy – Every construction site must have sufficient yet required numbers of fire safety equipment such as portable fire extinguishers on hand just to avoid any fire hazard. The firefighting system is highly needed as confirmed by NFPA 241, Standard for Safeguarding Construction, Alteration, and Demolition Operations. VariEx is one of the best fire extinguisher brands that provide fire protection equipment at an affordable price.
Ensure sufficient fire exits available at the site – Workers work in construction sites must have adequate fire exits. However, multiple exits converge into one area or hallway that could pose a problem.
Provide adequate fire training for employees – All employees must be aware of the risks or hazards related to construction fires. Fire training sessions either to handle fire protection systems during fire risk or to save yourself from any hazard in a short interval of time can help to keep workers prepared even in the occurrence of any fire.
In addition to these, here is a list of tips for fire prevention on the site:-
- Electrical systems must be installed by a skilled electrician and frequently maintained.
- Additional checks for site compounds should be done before leaving the site compound because those composites such as temporary heaters, smoking, intermittent occupation, clothes drying, waste packaging, old newspapers are susceptible to fire.
- High-intensity lights should not be placed near flammable material, and they must be fixed to stop them from falling over.
- Do not smoke in under-construction areas of high fire risk. Dispose of matches and cigarette butts carefully.
- Before starting any hot work, make sure the nearby region of the site is free of flammable material. If any non-removable item is present in the site, then that must be covered with heatproof blankets.
Make sure to stop any kind of hot work at least 1 hour before the end of the regular shift.
(Image Source: ARSrestorationspecialists.com)
Over to you
Construction sites can be a dangerous environment either for workers or employees, hence, it is a responsibility to ensure the safety of your construction site in the event of a fire.
Better Stay Safe Than Feel Sorry!